Where the Crafty come to meet

Where the Crafty come to meet! Come on in & take a look around. I think you will like what you see & I know you will be inspired by something in here. So take a look see & don't forget to hit the follow button! Blessed Be.

August 9, 2014

When MS Strikes


Hey Blogland.

Getting on the serious side of things for a bit.


Multiple Sclerosis is a serious but much understood condition that can strike anyone at anytime if it is in your DNA just waiting to rear it's nasty head. 

In 2012, my son-in-law, Randy Patrick Jr.  first noticed some strange things going on with his body.  After many tests he was diagnosed with MS in October of the same year. He is a brave man that is not about to let MS win if he can help it.  Here is his story.


(This is Randy at the 2014 MS Bike Challenge)
(Yes, he has kept his sense of humor)


I woke up on July 1st, 2012 with numbness around my tailbone area that spread throughout my stomach after a few hours or so. I could tell if something was touching me, but it just didn’t feel normal. This was a Sunday so my doctor’s office was closed.  I spoke to the on-call physician and was directed to the emergency room. I went through many questions and disclosed my normal activities. My blood work came back fine so they decided to do an MRI of my spine, which too came back fine. Hours later I was released and told to call my family doctor the next day.
The next day I woke up and the numbness had spread up to my chest and down through my legs. My feet were also very tingly. Back to the ER I went! I had another MRI (this time with contrast) of my spine and lumbar spine. That too showed nothing. They did more blood work, which still looked okay. I was released again and was told to make an appointment with a neurologist for the next day. My neurologist basically told me I must have injured myself from falling playing ice hockey. When I asked about the numbness all over, I was told I was fine and that it was all anxiety and it was all in my head! He did put me on oral steroids, just in case.
A few days later I started getting tingling in my fingertips, which prompted an MRI of my cervical spine (neck). This showed a lesion, which led to an MRI of the brain. This too showed a lesion. My neurologist all of a sudden went from “It’s all in your head” to “It’s MS; here pick a medicine,” and handed me pamphlets onDMDs. Every question I asked about other alternatives were immediately shot down. Could it be Lyme disease? “NO! Pick a med ASAP.”
Talk about a roller coaster ride of emotions! I didn’t know what to think. I’m going to be in a wheelchair — or worse! How am I going to take care of my five-year-old son? I was pretty bummed out. My lumbar puncture even came back perfectly normal, so all they had were two lesions from the MRIs.
Then I started doing my own research and found online forums. Talking to others affected by the disease helped me the most. I realized MS isn’t a death sentence and it’s manageable. There are options to help slow this thing down. We can fight this thing! I switched to a neurologist who specializes in MS and couldn’t have asked for a better experience. He was able to sit down with me and explain why he too thought it was MS and explained each treatment option with me. I started on the oral pill Gilenya in February and have not had any side effects at all. All of my numbness has pretty much gone away. My hands still feel a little funny sometimes, but other than that I feel great. I’m trying to stay active; I play ice hockey once a week, have recently started playing racquetball, and I started jogging.
When people find out I have MS, I always hear, “I’m sorry to hear that.” I tell them “Don’t be. I’m not. I have MS for a reason, and I am fighting this thing!” As I mentioned earlier, I’ve received the most benefit from talking to others who are affected. I want to help others also. MS stops connections — connections stop MS!  This is why I started the group “Must Stop MS!” I want to build connections, spread MS awareness, help others, and fight this thing! I do not want anyone else to feel the same way I did after being diagnosed. My group can be found on facebook at www.facebook.com/MustStopMS and on twitter at@MustStopMS.
This article was written by Randy L. Patrick Jr.

Meet the Patricks. My daughter Tracy, son-in-law, Randy & my grandson Carson.


Randy has not let MS beat him down. He is a wonderful father & husband.


 He leads a very active life.



And keeps his funny side!




Randy has made me proud with how he has handled his diagnosis & his attitude to keep healthy & active as possible.

He is also the founder of a FaceBook support group for those with MS or for anyone who has a family member or someone they care about that has been diagnosed with MS.






So if any of you know someone with MS or has a family member or friend with MS. Feel free to share the above link with them. You both will be glad you did!





Don't forget to leave a comment. I love hearing from wickedly
awesome people like yourself. Become a follower of 
Wiccan Make Some Too & be part of an amazing group of folks. Hey, all the"cool" kids are doing it!




2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Wow this comes as a surprise! I've bene diagnosed in 2009 with (luckily!) a very mild form of MS. I'm not on any meds yet but my neurologist wants me to think about starting them just in case. I'm definitely following the group on FB, it sounds very helpful. Because I only have a mild form, I can still do lots of stuff and I'm not impacted too much. I try to run a lot and raise money for charity, there is a MS charity in the UK I like to run for. There are several support groups here as well but to be honest they frighten me a bit as I can see how bad it can get. At the moment, whenever I dont want to do something like going for a run, my bf keeps telling me 'you still can' and that kicks me into gear. Because he is right, I still can and I am very grateful for that. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ, Honey. It might be something to think on to get on the meds. My son-in-law takes a pill a day. I have another friend that has MS & he thought he did not need meds because he was not so advanced in the condition in his mid 30's. Now he is wishing he took the meds because of the constant pain & muscle cramps. He works out twice a week & can barely walk after. Also on a shot that makes him unable to walk the next day. This is something you must decide for yourself. Meds will be life long. I wish you the best. Do check out Randy's FB page. It has discussion groups on top of updated news on meds & such. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete